Monday, October 11, 2010

Velvet Rope


Some trends are easy to adopt in full force: Military. Others not so much: velvet. When I saw this cascading down the runway I admit I was on the fence. I loved it on all these lithe models but really could not see myself incorporating it into my daily wardrobe. Its either too fancy and I am not going to any balls or galas in the near future. Or it was too heavy; the last thing I want to do is futz with my dress. Then the bell went off. Sometimes go small or go home is the way to go. The best way is to start of in the accessories department.  Always starting with the toes, shoes pack the trendiest punch.  With a pop of color and a lot of luxe, the Asos Luxe Velvet Bow Ballerina is the best way to dip into this trend.  The jewel tone is bright enough to add a twist to your boring blacks, browns and greys.  They are sweet and innocent for your very adorable girly attire.  As the days get colder, your head is going to need some adornment.  I find this BLUI hat to be an interesting style but have great function.  For some reason it reminds me of Elmer Fudd's hunting cap in an incredibly wearable, functional, and oh so cool way.  There are even cool accessories sporting Velvet details.  Anthropologie's Plush Bangle, which is conveniently on sale, has it going on.  There is ruching, color and everything in a small little bracelet.  So remember when trying to be trendy, start small, and then work up to embracing a gown like the one above.       

No comments: