Sunday, May 24, 2009

Lil' Prices at Lil' Frankie's


If you know me, I watch
Diners, Drive-ins and Drives like most watch their daily soap opera.  Living in the city, I am always looking for a great place to eat, that will not eat a hole in my wallet.  This past Friday, I met a friend down in the East Village at Lil' Frankie's, to catch up over some dinner and drinks.  I met my gal pal outside on the first unofficial night of summer at this hot spot.  The crowd spilled onto the sidewalk because they were waiting for a table.  This was an instant sign that this was going to be a good meal.  Although it looked as if we were going to have to wait awhile, we were actually seated only after a few minutes of waiting.  
Walking into this place, felt like I was stepping across the pond into a local hole in the wall in this hills of Italy.  The brick walls, low lighting, and cozy seating hugs you close as you enjoy your meal.  The wait staff is incredibly friendly and helpful with the menu.  As I studied the menu, I ordered my new favorite wine, a montepulciano.  No item on their menu is over $14.  My friend got a goat cheese pizza, with fresh arugula and eggplant.  I treated myself to homemade gnocchi, which was baked in the over with a seasonal tomato sauce.  It was incredibly light, and perfectly cooked; unlike some gnocchi I have had that rivals marble consistency.  This place is now at the top of my list of favorites.  So next time you are starving, in NYC, and want a cheap eat, head over to 1st and 1st for pizza and wine.  Just remember to bring some greenbacks, this place is cash only.  
 

1 comment:

BonBon Rose Girls Kristin said...

I'm having NYC envy. And I so scout out places all the time for Guy as I am diner obsessed!